Friday, September 3, 2010

Vending Machines


We have all used a vending machine. They are stoked full of chips, sweets, and even sometimes, ice cream. Once you put your money in the slot, the item of your choice is supposed to come out of that twirly thing and down to the bottom of the machine. Easy enough.

Not for this one girl.

I sat in a lobby of a building at my school as many other student surrounded me, reading and studying. This one girl to my left was a wiggle worm, she couldn't sit still as she was reading. She sat so I could see her out of my peripheral vision, making her every move apparent to me.

After about five minutes of vigorous reading, she put her book down and pulled out her wallet. This girl grabbed a dollar or two and headed over to the vending machine. I watched her put in her money and push the two buttons to get her snack. She stood there with hands on her hips as she watched the vending machine to absolutely nothing. She cocked her head to the side and kind of did that shake-the-machine-maybe-I-will-get-my-snack-this-way thing and she stood there hopelessly and accepted the fact that the machine had stolen her money.

She goes back to her seat, picks her book back up, and begins reading again. The girl reads for about two short minutes and apparently realizes she REALLY wants that snack and pulls out another couple of bucks from her wallet. So, she walks over to the machine and puts her money in and pushes the buttons, just like before.

And the same thing happens.

Hands on hips, head cocked to the side. Frustrated now, she stats shaking the machine more forcefully than the time before (yes, there are about ten other people on this little room who are probably watching her like me).

When she doesn't get her snack by shaking the machine, she decides desperate times call for desperate measures. She proceeds to reach her hand up that little swinging door in hopes of grabbing her snack. After doing this for a couple of minutes, this girl realizes that, yes, the machine of food has indeed won.

I sat there and kind of laughed to myself the whole time, feeling a little bit sorry for this girl because I know how it feels when a piece of technology beats you.

She left angrily and I kept reading my book for my next class. Little did I know, she was in that class with me. She sat next to me and introduced herself and I really wanted to tell her that I had just watched her struggle for the last twenty minutes of her life and that I felt her pain.

But I didn't. It's me little secret. Hehehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment