Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day!



Found this poem today, hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

What Makes a Dad

God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so,

He called it ... Dad

I have learned the past few years to really not take anything for granted. Especially the time I have with my family. I know there are so many people without dad's on this wonderful day and I can't imagine what I would do without mine. My dad is such a great man. He always greets me in the morning with a kiss on the crown of my head and a "Good morning beautiful." Never fails. Or when I call him to say "Hey Dad, I gotta question for you.." and without a doubt my dad always responds with, "Is it a 'can I' 'will you' 'can we' 'may I'..." He always knows I am about to ask him for something, to do something, to go something, or to hang out with someone. My father is very smart and sometimes likes to call himself "Doctor Hatheway" in trying to fix people's medical issues with his own knowledge about the subject (he once came to the "conclusion" that if you workout more, you don't poop as much because all the poop sweats off while you workout). You get the picture.

I love my dad and am so blessed to be able to still have him in my life. This goes to every other dad on Father's Day.

And also to the dad's who are in Heaven watching down on us today.


I love and miss you Papaw 8-7-07
My papaw was an amazing man who loved to be outside. He loved to be in his huge garden outside growing those little green grapes for the grankids to eat. He loved to fish. He loved to golf. He always had his kitchen stocked up with candy for us kids when we came over to visit. My papaw was a great man who is now in Heaven, fishing in the biggest ocean ever, smiling down upon, with that cigar hanging out of his mouth.


I love and miss you Grandpa 3-18-08
I loved my Grandpa. he was such a funny guy, and always joked around with everyone. His smile lit up the room when he walked in. Always wearing some sort of IU apparel, my Grandpa was sure loved in the church, and especially in the family. I miss hearing my Grandpa read the story of Christmas on Christmas Eve and hearing him say how much he loved the sugar cookies I made him. My Grandpa is in Heaven, playing golf on the biggest golf course there is, watching down on us, wearing that bright red IU sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment